Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Unreal Acer, The Rant

It has been eventful for the past few days. So be aware that my content may step on my grammatical prowess. ; P

Saying, "It's what inside that matters, not the outside." is the same as, "It's software, not hardware".

On Sat, I purchased my school laptop for polytechnic studies. It was kinda a good bargain. At 1.7k, you're getting an mid-range processor, HD capabilities such as 720p video and a HDMI output, a decent graphics card, 500GB of storage, 4GB of RAM and 3 years of complete warranty!!! W00ts! BUT of course, there is always the black sheep of the pack, Vista.

At first, I wasn't complaining. After all, we grow accustomed to democratic equality and so it seems no place for being single-OS centric. As you know, my Acer graced upon a problem, rendering my new laptop inaccessible. An e-mail later, I was told to bring it down on Monday for a restore.

Still full with energy and hype from Vista, I happily made my way to Ngee Ann. The thing about this 'emotion' is that it overwhelmed me. So much so that I thought independantly from my common sense. I guess my cerebral cortex decided to take a break and adore the in-campus babes. YIKES. And so, young Zul wondered into block 5, the main IT helpdesk. I don't know what made me to ignore specific instructions from the email to bring the laptop down to NP's Acer booth.

Imagine me all sweaty from my trek, blame it on global warming, going to block 5 and was told by the staff there to go to block 56. WHAT? But can't blame him on that. And again, I wander my way to block 56. Many familiar faces appear. I'm sure they are wondering why I'm there again. A lecturer addressed my problem and after a quick demo of my peril, he suggested that I should get a reset from Acer since it's a software issue.

Now I remember! I thought that the problem was caused by someone meddling into my config which apparently was when the Software Top-Up dudes installed the programs. Remember the anti-virus glitch? Yuck.

You know me, I without fail carried my tired flesh and bones to the Acer booth. I guess there was some desire in me that disguises my rage. I've been with Mac for almost 3 years now and I guess it's that sense of nostalgia that I long that I want rekindle. Thus, I was really hoping to get my laptop fixed. Up the Acer booth, the 'sales men' directed me to the Acer makeshift storage-cum-cash-counter. -_- Mind you, I'm still carring a 2.5 Kg laptop on my back and still sweating!!!

And I thought it was over as I stepped into that room! Passed my lappie to some dude to what I thought was just a simple reset. Nooooo. Minutes later, he called me and said that I needed to make my way down to Acer's Service Centre at International Business Park to get a reet there. MAN, I guess my sweat tickling down my temples and my shortness of breath did not chance upon the slightest indication that I might be tired. RAHHHHH.

I really wanted the laptop to be fixed pronto! I want to immerse myself into Windows and be caught in an OS paradox. GEEZ.

Ok, long story short. I received some help from them on boarding which busses to go there. Though it would be better if they helped more but hey, that's how wide their job scope is. Thanks to Keith and Kok Ming, I was able to cut the waiting line and get my laptop reset in no time. And thanks to Dad too for giving me a lift. Phew!

After which, I made my way to NP again for the Software Top Up just to be told the only available slots start from 3:30pm, a lenghty 2 hours since I returned from the Acer Service Centre. A call later and a pair of wet shoes, damn rain, I was on my way home. And today, after a morning trip to NP,'s Software Top Up, I'm all done! YEAH.

I'm tired now. Bleagh.

No comments: