Sunday, March 15, 2009

1 Day Left...

Here we go. On Thursday, I peaked into NP for a little hands on with the laptops they offer. I was definitely eyeing for an Acer. Something tells me that an Acer was much value add than the other brands. Fujitsu, Lenovo and Apple to graced that event but a 3rd party company were selling them. I wasn't really particular fussy about that fact but knowing that my product comes from the company itself is much 'easier'.

I wasn't surprised when the presence of loud pumping music and even an emcee came from the Apple booth. After all, it's Apple. I guess they are the only booth that are employed real tech gurus not like those from the other booths that just seem to read off the specs list. But hey, I don't expect 20 year olds to be in the tech market. Just part timers...

Eventually, my 2 former classmates decided to buy the Acer laptop I've been eyeing since their brochures landed in my mailbox. Is it a good buy? Yeap. But what was the stir about Acer in the recent years? It was regarding Acer's chassis, the body of the computer. Some say it had poor heat management. Thus, overheating after a few hours of work. But citing from the 'sales man', the chassis has been revamped with the new Gemstone line up. Am I buying that? Well yeah and literary too. Yesterday, I brought home an Acer.

Since Mr Ho is using a Gemstone too and has been using it for 2 years, it goes without saying the stability of hardware. But of course, it's based on professional results under professional usage.

; )

I'm only worried about the stability of software. That's all. And the undesired became true.

The first hiccup came when I was to install additional software for my course. The wireless system did not detect any wireless networks even though the router was just behind me. Fortunately, a simple reboot solved it. Several installs later, it kept on saying to update my anti-virus. Obviously being handled by Windows n00bs, they decided to reinstall the anti-virus program. Bleagh, it was to no avail. And there I was, sitting there dumbfounded for almost 4 hours. Sigh. If you're reading this Asril, sorry mate! I know you wanted me to accompany you to the IT Show! In the end, it was just simply a error I could forgo. Saying something about Vista Home Premium being unable to 'see'. From my perspective that is.

But the worst has yet to come. Upon reaching home, I turned on my Acer machine to embrace it. Don't get me wrong, I like how Microsoft is able make Vista into a beautiful OS. It is just not as reliable as Mac program wise. And to further drive my point, I got this message upon log in.

I was fuming. Even the sacrifice of time won't allow a Windows machine to survive. Ok, maybe only Vista. Damn you Vista. But for now, I can only wait to Monday and bring it back for servicing. Anyway, At least I have a new pair of pants.

1 comment:

stan said...

wow! using me as the yardstick.

asril wan to go? shld've asked me. I'd gone if someone wanted to.