Thursday, March 19, 2009

H00ts List.... FINALISED


I kill too many trees this past few days. The collection from the IT Show.

At any rate.

I've been dying to test my new laptop's graphical power. Graphical as in graphics. So don't think of X/Y-axes! At first, I wanted to download a demo of the much hyped FPS game called Battlefield 2142. After 20 minutes, the 1GB file was ready for my entertainmaent. Oh yeah.

After a quick install, I launched it. Only to face by a dialog box saying that I need DirectX 9. It's a driver of some sorts that supplements the graphics card. Not really sure on how it works but I do know that I didn't have that. Bummer.



I've checked my system and I know it has DX10. Hey, since I've the latest one, why can't I run an old game based on an older driver? A quick Googling and I found that DX10 is not backwards compatible like DX9 is to DX8. Also, my long love for headshots and rockets will end since BF 2142 can't run on DX10.

Though, some have pointed out that they could still run the game but their OS was Vista Ultimate. Maybe that matters?

My troubles don't just end there. I had trouble learning the new keyboard since I've spent almost 3 years on my Mac. On the first note, the keyboard is spacious with big buttons. Responsiveness seems quick but lacks the deep satisfying push of a Mac and its uniformed feedback. Some might find those Mac buttons hard to type on but I like that. So, when I 'felt' I didn't register a key, I would press that button again only to see I've misspelled. And hey, that's a pretty small touch pad when the sensitive is relly low at max!!!

With a Mac keyboard, the Control key is conviently placed so that my pinky could use it. BUT, on a Windows keyboard it's placed at the lower left. Bleagh. My thumb-index finger combo won't really work now. Closing tabs, creating new ones and skipping words in a Word document will be a chore now! On the same note, there's a row of Home/End/Page Up/Down keys acting as 2nd function controls for media playback. That's nice but it removes the purpose when the touch sensetive buttons for media playback are just beside.

Using a big keyboard is nice and comfortable but if you're like me who has been spending far too long on a cramped keyboard, you'll take some time getting used to it. Especially when you have muscle memorised your previous keyboardas mistyping seems to get on your nerves. But time will get you in the bandwagon!


Overall, it's a nice piece of hardware. Regarding the game, my good friend Turtle has stopped playing it. So maybe I get a copy of it and test out the installation before I get a new copy that will set me back about $60. Other games? Well there's Left 4 Dead, Company Of Heroes, Counter Strike. I'm not really into much games as I primarily use them to pass time, not fight for a spot at the World Cyber Games. Haha.

Can someone tell me how to use the 6-in-1 memory card slot?










But will that matter with my new printer? WOOTS!!! It can print pretty good pictures anddocuments. It's not really a good bargain but I can sit this printer living it up to it's price. Blah.... $300 is a lot for a printer.

But hey, all those stuff will help increase my productivity. (Except the inclusion of games though)

No comments: