Friday, February 06, 2009

There's Something In Adobe's AIR

It would be such a crime to not talk about any tech news on my beloved blog of mine. After all, the blogosphere was the brainchild of the internet which has stringed all the web antics, controversial, movements and many many more. I think it's safe to say that the internet saved the world.

Nah, whatever.

You know how easily distractable I am. I can imagine the many pranks you all pulled on me as I am knee deep in them all because I was not able to keep an eye with my focus. (I can't focus on my focus. Sigh.) AND so, I got myself a Twitter account after much hype from CNet's Buzz Out Loud and The 404. I know I'm a little late but c'mon guys! I was DISTRACTED earlier. See?

Anyway, the real reason why I got myself a Twitter account was my curiosity in Twhirl which acts like a desktop application for me to update my Twitter. Being a desktop applicatiion, I would not need to go into my Firefox, see it bounce about 10 times (I'm on a Mac btw), load up my Apple homepage that takes a DREADED 2 seconds to load (Felt like 2 minutes!), load up my bookmarks sidebar and click on Twitter, enter my account details, log in and finally Twit. DID YOU SEE THAT?! It would waste half of my life in those 6 instances! YIKES! But with Twhirl, All it takes is 2 clicks. The dynamics behind this 'Twhirl' is that it is a Flash programme that actively runs without a browser. Let's just put that Adobe AIR becomes a web browser, but for Flash applications.

This is GREAT news for netbook users. As you may know, netbooks are becoming quite a thing nowadays. Since Flash applications don't need to use as much processing power as a full fledged application, it can just run smoothly. Less processing power = Less lag = More Productivity. However, in this side of the world, sunny Singapore won't get much of this fanfare as netbooks still cost a bomb here. $800 for a Eee PC? MIGHT AS WELL GET A HP!



I'm really psych about this 'technology'. Would you just imagine all the Flash games that you could play? But maybe not that. This could just eventually transition us all into the world of Cloud. It's all about using less for more productivity. I can't wait!

No comments: