Sunday, February 15, 2009

How Perfect Planning Needs Perfect Excution

(Above: At least we got the fire started!)
I don't feel too well. It's like a post-sugar galore at Willy Wonka's factory. GEEZ. My eyes are watery and heavy. I feel slightly top heavy and there's this distinct BBQ taste that resides in my mouth even after a brush. Yuck. I'm all over BBQ-ing now.

Last night, we had a belated birthday-BBQ-party for one of our friends. He just rang us up and offered a party. They did something similar last year, though without the BBQ, but I was not available on that day. Guess I had some extra classes or something. Looks like they wanted to up the ante since all they did the last time looked more of sports day then a party. What supposed to be a group of 10 teens hungover from an extensive meal of nature's abomination and a day of reminiscence from our secondary and soccer days became a battle just getting it going. Sigh. First of all, the event wasn't a disaster but it certainly had the taste of it. Well, at least we ate something in the end. Our plight even before it started.

I guess the biggest no-no in our various stages of events was the timing. It just scrapped from someone's idea pool about a week before the event day. All seems just ok with a 'flawless' plan 2 organiser wannabes meticulously scratched but even time will rust the hardest of steel. Even if you have a perfect plan that will resolve any problem to the tiniest detail, as long as you don't control every tiniest detail, your plan ain't perfect! And with a window of just 3 days, things can get pretty ugly. Let's look at what happened. As such, late timing creates unconfirmed guests that leads to uncertainty in purchase which also brings about more dead weight which could also be affected by miscommunications, financial instability, weird location, missing host and guests (gonna be real soon) and zero knowledge of BBQ. That should sum it up.

At any rate, we decided to order our food from BBQ Wholesale Centre because none of us has the knowledge nor mindset to prepare BBQ food. Furthermore, they even promised a "hassle-free bbq!" Well, at least that made the decision. After all, I was supposed to engage them in my Class Chalet/BBQ but that too suffered similar fate with last night's. Upon collection, it was obvious that none of us had any idea where 95 Frankal Ave is. If another lesson was to be learned, ALWAYS BRING A MAP! Or a GPS for that matter. I guess we have to say that it's vital to know where you're heading metaphorically and literally! Also, always check your receipt!

Did I mentioned about guests too? The power of the people is such an odd thing. Even with the silliest parties, it can just be awfully perfect with a room full of party goers. Unfortunately, the untimely party became so untimely constrained that our 10 men party became 6. A small drawback? Maybe not BUT WHAT IT THE HOST DIDN'T COME? Without the guests and host, what right do we have to call it a party? Maybe another glitch, LOCATION. Wasn't it weird that we had a BBQ at some ulu HDB estate.

Finally, I guess I have to state this, lack of closeness. Now now, before anyone flood me with Dude, what you talking mannnnn or WHAT's that gotta do witha a BBQ? I did remember stating the power of the people and how a room full of party goers could get the worst party going. Taking a great example, Wikipedia. Look at the power of people and how it has unified that power to become one of the top visited sites for information. I wouldn't want to engross you any further in why Wikipedia is not bluff-pedia. Maybe some other time. Instead, watch this documentary Truth In Numbers and that might sum up my arguement. The point is that everyone should chip in. If there is this air of animosity, everything tends to be done half heartedly. Well, that's at least for me only.

In the end, the show must go on. Looking at how BBQ declined I am, maybe anyone could offer some tips for me?

No comments: