Saturday, March 29, 2008

Save Mother Earth

I was sorting out the mail that have been building up in my closet since last year. From the sights of it, I am missing some mail. Sigh. Anyway, I was digging into the envelopes and this is what I found.


It's a pamphlet by SingTel promoting their new service in a bid to save unstable environment. The feel of the paper is rough, suggesting that it's recycled. It's good to see major companies like SingTel trying to save the Earth. I'm sure other companies will soon follow suit.

But the problem is not how effective a solution is, it's how many people has taken in effect. Just imagine, SingTel's market share of BROADBAND alone is at 54.7%. This makes them at the lead with 391,000 subscribers. Now, imagine SingTel printing 4 paged bills to EACH AND EVERY ONE of them EVERY MONTH. Unspeakable. Now, that's only the broadband sector. What about the mobile, mio tv and many of 'final reminder' letters to pay your bill? Trust me, it's A LOT. And now, to see them promoting paperless bills, it's a good start. But of course, not all will take in consideration.

Let's take a look at paperless billing, You have access of your bills 24/7 so long there is an internet connection. You can change your account settings, apply for other services and pay through on line banking. The catch? You gotta know how to use the computer. In Singapore, with the elderly population rising, not many know how to switch on the computer. So maybe, or rather I propose, Singapore should either increase the IT skills of at least 1 member of each household OR just make paying bills much, MUCH more easier. The latter is highly praised. For it will make one centralised billing and we can track our payments. Ladies and gentlemen, I call upon, INTEGRATION.

Catch you later homies, I gotta go school!

No comments: