Sunday, January 20, 2008

Intro- One Man Country

Thanks is for her who had been in my life for the past two years. Thick and thin, you are still there. I made you cry and made you laugh. Those times we'll not forget. Thank you, my love.

Just came back from Sim Lim Square which is a synonym to 'TECH HEAVEN'. Computers, handphones, laptops, mice, wireless routers. Anything that you see on Hardware Mag, you see it here. Recently, I told my Mom that I was in need of an external hard drive. I needed to store my music, games and my other stuff in it. It must be mobile and shock proof. Space is not on my mind [How odd..] but 120 GB sounds nice. Well, you know me, I'm the kind that will not fall for the 'Buyer's Regret' trap or any traps for that matter. So here how it went. I knew abouy Network Attached Storage. They are just like servers but much more consumer oriented. A wireless router and a hard drive combined. That's how you should see it as. On the same network, you could access it. Now here comes the cloudy part. I'm not sure how but with an internet connection, you could access it form anywhere with an internet connection. Now, I've heard about them but not much heard on how to configure it. This is something that I must research on.

And so, SLS became my hunting ground. I still needed a HD but looking at Time Capsule, a new NAS product by apple, I just had to want it! Priced at $459 at 500GB, it's at Sg's pricy range. I'll still look out for other stuff but it I do get Time Capsule, then I must go the Apple way. So, in prep for that, I introduced my Dad to iMac. A virus free comp that will last a decade. With Leopard's Time Machine, it'll be the perfect companion with Time Capsule. Let me explain.

Time Machine autmatically backs up the hard drive every few changes. So let's say I wasnted to undelete a file that I had 'Remove-from-recycle-bin', I could easily just take it from Time Machine. It's like going back in time. Wow! So, with Time Capsule in hand, it backs it up wirelessly and doubles as a router. Nice.

Now you know why I want a Time Capsule? Oh yeah, the Apple way. If I am to get Time Capsule, ain't it better if my remaining comps on Leopard? And thus, my Dad's intro to iMac. So it he wants to change Windi, there's iMac! But at the end of all conversations, there is always a topic that will never be left out. How much. So here's The Apple Way's price breakdown!

Time Capsule: $799 (1TB)
iMac: $2488
Vista Home Premium (TBC): $200
MS 2008 (TBC): $300

Total: $3787

Geez, might as well get Mac Pro!

And yeah, check out my upcoming project, One Mac Country.

No comments: