Friday, April 25, 2008

Say What?: English as you MAY know it...

I don’t know what to say actually. However deep I search, I can’t find any word that reflects what I think right now. I think people associates this to a mere state of suicidal. Then the average will add a little suspense by saying that the ’victim’ was being subjected to high levels of ‘stress’. -_- I figure we all have been misusing that word for quite some time now. When an exam crawls near, we say that we are being stressed. WHAT? It is not even a week near and you say you’re being stressed? I mean, the sentence itself hides a flaw in you. You can’t be stressed by something that hasn’t happened! You can say that you MIGHT or for extreme cases WILL be stressed when the exam draws near. C’mon fellas! Maybe it’s here that I insert that English is not just like any other subject. It’s a tool devised by the majority (Praise democracy?) to be our medium in conversing, delivering and form our ideas. Look there, 2 men. One is an Indian while the other, a Chinese. They are happily discussing their day with a simple notch of English. So I say, why can’t we just practice it while we still can? I’m sure after 10 years of ‘compulsory’ education, our English will be just enough to call our British counterparts. (Don’t try and compare to ours. Ours is so bad that we need them to correct our English in the O’s!)

Though, I won’t object to our ‘fluent’ use of English everyday. It’s not perfect. SO this got me thinking, why would we use a medium that is not perfect for our way to live life? Another thing is that why must it be perfect? Ok now, I’m already contradicting myself. ‘Democratic’ and ‘Republican’. They both pose the same definition: To serve without a King nor Queen and in favour of the great majority. BUT, they serve as two different parties in the ongoing American Presidential Elections. English ain’t perfect!

But hey, when we need to just deliver the simplest of ideas, the best way is to speak in something that you’re comfortable and ‘feel safe’ with. That way, you won’t embarrass yourself when you talk!

Finally, my theme for the month of April and May:
: )

No comments: